1. Our Father, Thou in heav'n above, Who biddest us to dwell in love, As brethren of one family, To cry in ev'ry need to Thee, Teach us no thoughtless word to say, But from our inmost heart to pray.
2. Thy name be hallowed. Help us, Lord, In purity to keep Thy Word, That to the glory of Thy Name We walk before Thee free from blame. Let no false doctrine us pervert; All poor, deluded souls convert.
3. Thy kingdom come. Thine let it be In time and in eternity. Let Thy good Spirit e'er be nigh Our hearts with graces to supply. Break Satan's pow'r, defeat his rage; Preserve Thy Church from age to age.
4. Thy gracious will on earth be done As 'tis in heav'n before Thy throne; Obedience in our weal and woe And patience in all grief bestow. Curb flesh and blood and ev'ry ill That sets itself against Thy will.
5. Give us this day our daily bread And let us all be clothed and fed. From war and strife be our Defense, From famine and from pestilence, That we may live in godly peace, Free from all care and avarice.
6. Forgive our sins, Lord, we implore, Remove from us their burden sore, As we their trespasses forgive Who by offenses us do grieve. Thus let us dwell in charity And serve our brother willingly.
7. Into temptation lead us not. When evil foes against us plot And vex our souls on every hand, Oh, give us strength that we may stand Firm in the faith, a well-armed host, Through comfort of the Holy Ghost!
8. From evil, Lord, deliver us; The times and days are perilous. Redeem us from eternal death, And when we yield our dying breath, Console us, grant us calm release, And take our souls to Thee in peace.
9. Amen, that is, So shall it be. Confirm our faith and hope in Thee That we may doubt not, but believe What here we ask we shall receive. Thus in Thy name and at Thy word We say: Amen. Oh, hear us, Lord! Amen.
Words: Martin Luther, 1539. Translation composite.
Music: 'Vater Unser im Himmelreich' attr. Martin Luther, found in Valentin Schumann's Geistliche Lieder, Leipzig, 1539.
Setting: "Evangelical Lutheran Hymn-Book", 1931.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2009 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|