1. While o'er our guilty land, O Lord, We view the terrors of Your sword, O where can all the helpless fly? To whom but You direct their cry?
2. On You, our guardian God, we call; Before Your throne of grace we fall; But is there no deliv'rance there? And must we perish in despair?
3. See, we repent, we weep, we mourn; To our forsaken God we turn; O spare our guilty country, spare The Church which You have planted there.
4. We are the old, the sick, the lame; We blind and deaf cry Jesus' Name. We plead Your mercy for His sake, And trust that You will not forsake.
5. Christ is our only righteousness, His death for us is our redress. Your promise stronger than our sin; Blot out O Lord what we have been.
6. We are your children after all, Redeemed by Christ after the fall. Marked with Your Name in Baptism, Our home remains in Your Kingdom.
Words: verses 1-3, Samuel Davies, 1769. alt. verses 4-6, Brian J. Dumont, 15 Nov 2010.
Music: 'Federal Street' Henry K. Oliver, 1832.
Setting: "The Evangelical Lutheran Hymnal" (Ohio Synod), 1908.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2010 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|