1. The law of God is good and wise, And sets His will before our eyes, Shows us the way of righteousness, And dooms to death when we transgress.
2. Its light of holiness imparts The knowledge of our sinful hearts, That we may see our lost estate And seek deliv'rance ere too late.
3. To those who help in Christ have found And would in works of love abound It shows what deeds are His delight And should be done as good and right.
4. When men the offered help disdain And willfully in sin remain, Its terror in their ear resounds And keeps their wickedness in bounds.
5. The law is good, but since the fall Its holiness condemns us all; It dooms us for our sin to die And has no pow'r to justify.
Words: Matthias Loy, 1863.
Music: 'Erhalt Uns, Herr, bei deinem Wort' from Klug's Geistliche Lieder, 1543.
Setting: "Concordia Kinderchöre", 1908.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2006 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|