1. The Church's one foundation Is Jesus Christ her Lord, She is His new creation By water and the Word. From heav'n He came and sought her To be His holy bride; With His own blood He bought her And for her life He died.
2. She is from every nation, Yet one o'er all the earth; Her charter of salvation, One Lord, one faith, one birth; One holy Name she blesses, Partakes one holy food, And to one hope she presses, With every grace endued.
3. The Church shall never perish! Her dear Lord to defend, To guide, sustain, and cherish, Is with her to the end: Though there be those who hate her, And false sons in her pale, Against or foe or traitor She ever shall prevail.
4. Though with a scornful wonder Men see her sore oppressed, By schisms rent asunder, By heresies distressed: Yet saints their watch are keeping, Their cry goes up, 'How long?' And soon the night of weeping Shall be the morn of song!
5. 'Mid toil and tribulation, And tumult of her war, She waits the consummation Of peace forevermore; Till, with the vision glorious, Her longing eyes are blest, And the great Church victorious Shall be the Church at rest.
6. Yet she on earth hath union With God the Three in One, And mystic sweet communion With those whose rest is won, With all her sons and daughters Who, by the Master's hand Led through the deathly waters, Repose in Eden land.
7. O happy ones and holy! Lord, give us grace that we Like them, the meek and lowly, On high may dwell with Thee: There, past the border mountains, Where in sweet vales the Bride With Thee by living fountains Forever shall abide!
Words: Samuel John Stone, 1866.
Music: 'Aurelia' Samuel Sebastian Wesley, 1864.
Setting: "Order of worship for the Reformed Church in the United States", 1866.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2005 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|