1. O Holy Spirit, enter in, And in our hearts Thy work begin Thy Temple deign to make us; Sun of the soul, Thou Light divine, Around and in us brightly shine, To joy and gladness wake us. That we to Thee Truly living, To Thee giving Prayer unceasing May in love be still increasing.
2. Give to Thy Word impressive pow'r That in our hearts, from this good hour, As fire it may be glowing; That we confess the Father, Son, And Thee, the Spirit, Three in One, Thy glory ever showing. Stay Thou, guide now Our souls ever that they never May forsake Thee. But by faith their refuge make Thee.
3. Thou fountain whence all wisdom flows Which God on pious hearts bestows, Grant us Thy consolation. That in our pure faith's unity We faithful witnesses may be Of grace that brings salvation. Hear us, cheer us, By Thy teaching; let our preaching, And our labor Praise Thee, Lord, and serve our neighbor.
4. Left to ourselves, we shall but stray; O lead us on the narrow way, With wisest counsel guide us; And give us steadfastness, that we May ever faithful prove to Thee, Whatever woes betide us; Lord now Heal Thou All hearts broken, And betoken Thou art near us, Whom we trust to light and cheer us.
5. Thy heav'nly strength sustain our heart That we may act the valiant part With Thee as our Reliance; Be Thou our Refuge and our Shield That we may never quit the field, But stand in bold defiance. Descend, defend From all errors And earth's terrors Thy salvation Be our constant consolation.
6. O mighty Rock, O Source of life, Let Thy dear Word 'mid doubt and strife Be so within us burning, That we be faithful unto death, In Thy pure love and holy faith, From Thee true wisdom learning! Thy grace And peace On us shower; By Thy power Christ confessing, Let us win our Savior's blessing.
7. O gentle Dew, from Heav'n now fall With pow'r upon the hearts of all, Thy tender love instilling, That heart to heart more closely bound, Fruitful in kindly deeds be found, The law of love fulfilling; The Lord, Discord Shall not grieve Thee; We recieve Thee; Where Thou livest. Peace, and love, and joy Thou givest.
8. Grant that our days, while life shall last, In purest holiness be passed, Be Thou our Strength forever; Grant that our hearts henceforth be free From sinful lust and vanity Which us from Thee must sever. Keep Thou pure Now From offenses Heart and senses. Blessed Spirit! Let us heavenly life inherit.
Words: Michael Schirmer, 1650 except verse 2 by unknown author circa 1660. Verses 1, 4, 6-8 translated by by Catherine Winkworth, 1863. Remaining verses unknown translator before 1931.
Music: 'Wie Schön Leuchtet' Phillipp Nicolai, 1599.
Setting: "Mehrstimmiges ChoralBuch", 1906.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2012 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|