1. Now praise we Christ, the Holy One, The spotless virgin Mary's Son, Far as the blesséd sun doth shine E'en to the world's remote confine
2. He, who Himself all things did make, A servant's form vouchsafed to take, That He as man mankind might win, And save His creatures from their sin.
3. The grace of God, th'Almighty Lord, On the chaste mother was outpoured a virgin pure and undefiled In wondrous wise conceived a child.
4. The holy maid became th'abode And temple of the living God; And she, who knew not man, was blest With God's own Word made manifest.
5. The noble mother bare a Son, For so did Gabriel's promise run, Whom John confessed and leapt with joy, Ere yet the mother knew her boy.
6. In a rude manger, stretched on hay, In poverty content He lay; With milk was fed the Lord of all, Who feeds the ravens when they call.
7. Th' angelic choir rejoice, and raise Their voice to God in songs of praise; To humble shepherds is proclaimed The Shepherd who the world hath framed.
8. Honor to Thee, O Christ, be paid, Pure offspring of a holy maid, With Father and with Holy Ghost, Till time in time's abyss be lost.
Words: Coelius Sedulius, circa 450. Translated to German by Martin Luther, 1524. Translated from German to English by Richard Massie, 1854, alt.
Music: 'Christum Wir Sollen Loben Schon' ancient Latin found in Erfurt Enchiridion, 1524.
Setting: Michael Praetorius, 1609.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2009 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|