1. Unclean and battered, torn by sin, By things I do, my thoughts within, I lie there bloodied on life's road with death and sin my only load.
2. Across that road the world passed by turning a deaf ear to my cry, No help to give, they could not save and so they left me for my grave.
3. And, what of me, when I saw need? Did I my Savior's bidding heed? Too often on the other side I've walked away because of pride.
4. Sin bleeds from me and stops my breath, in Adam all I know is death; My works are rags, my offerings vain, From dust I came in dust remain.
5. But in my need my Savior died, Not passing on the other side. Rebreathed His Spirit in my dust, bound up my wounds, declared me just.
6. Now safe within His Church I'm free; Blood, Water, Spirit plead for me, The Ark of God, the Inn of Grace Where I behold my Father's face.
7. May I in Christ my neighbor know Binding his wounds serves Christ below. Your love for him make plain through me, that he may, too, your Glory see.
8. You loved me when I could not love, For my sin barred me from above. In Christ my love is now set free, O praise and bless the Trinity.
Words: John G. Fleischmann, 2007.
Music: 'Tallis` Canon' Thomas Tallis, circa 1567.
Setting: "A Hymnal" (Episcopal), 1916.
copyright: Words: Copyright 2007, John G. Fleischmann. These lyrics may be freely reproduced or published for Christian worship, provided they are not altered, and this notice is on each copy. All other rights reserved.Music and Setting: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2011 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|