1. Hark, the glad sound! the Savior comes! The Savior promised long; Let every heart prepare a throne, And every voice a song.
2. On Him the Spirit, largely poured, Exerts its sacred Fire; Wisdom and might, and zeal and love, His holy Breast inspire.
3. He comes the pris'ners to release, In Satan's bondage held; The gates of brass before Him burst, The iron fetters yield.
4. He comes from thickest films of vice To clear the mental ray, And on the eyeballs of the blind To pour celestial day.
5. He comes the broken heart to bind, The bleeding soul to cure; And with the treasures of His grace T'enrich the humble poor.
6. His silver trumpets publish loud The jub'lee of the Lord Our debts are all remitted now Our heritage restored.
7. Our glad hosannas, Prince of Peace, Thy welcome shall proclaim; And Heav'n's eternal arches ring With Thy belovèd name.
Words: Philip Doddridge, 1735.
Music: 'Chesterfield' or 'Richmond (Haweis)' or 'Spa Fields Chapel' Thomas Haweis, 1792.
Setting: "The Church Hymnal, Revised and Enlarged" (Episcopal), 1896.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2011 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|