1. Come, your hearts and voices raising, Christ the Lord with gladness praising; Loudly sing His love amazing, Worthy folk of Christendom.
2. Sin and death may well be groaning, Satan now may well be moaning; We, our full salvation owning, Cast our every care away.
3. See how God, for us providing, Gave His Son and life abiding; He our weary steps is guiding From earth's woe to heav'nly joy.
4. Christ, from heav'n to us descending And in love our race befriending, In our need His help extending, Saved us from the wily Foe.
5. Jacob's Star in all its splendor Beams with comfort sweet and tender, Forcing Satan to surrender, Breaking all the pow'rs of hell.
6. From the bondage that oppressed us, From sin's fetters that possessed us, From the grief that sore distressed us, We, the captives, now are free.
7. Oh, the joy beyond expressing When by faith we grasp this blessing And to Thee we come confessing, That our freedom thou hast wrought!
8. Gracious Child, we pray Thee, hear us, From Thy lowly manger cheer us, Gently lead us and be near us Till we join the angelic choir.
Words: Paul Gerhardt, 1667. Translation composite.
Music: 'Quem Pastores' German, 1410.
Setting: "The Lutheran Hymnary", 1913.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2010 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|