1. Baptized into Thy Name most holy, O Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, I claim a place, though weak and lowly, Among Thy seed, Thy chosen host. Buried with Christ and dead to sin, Thy Spirit now shall live within.
2. My loving Father, here doth take me To be henceforth His child and heir; My faithful Savior, now doth make me The fruit of all His sorrows share; My Comforter will comfort me When darkest clouds around I see.
3. And I have vowed to fear and love Thee And to obey Thee, Lord, alone; I felt Thy Holy Spirit move me, I dared to pledge myself Thine own, Renouncing sin to keep the faith And war with evil unto death.
4. My faithful God, Thou failest never, Thy cov'nant surely will abide; Oh, cast me not away forever Should I transgress it on my side! But if I fall hide not Thy face, Restore Thy child, Lord, by Thy Grace.
5. Yes, all I am and love most dearly, To Thee I offer now the whole; O let me make my vows sincerely, Take full possession of my soul! Let naught within me, naught I own, Serve any will save Thine alone.
6. Hence, Prince of darkness, hence forever, For I belong now to my God! 'Tis true, I sinned; but my dear Savior Hath cleansed me with His holy blood. Away, vain world, sin, leave me now, I turn from you; God hears my vow.
7. And never let my purpose falter, O Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, But keep me faithful to Thine altar, Till Thou shalt call me from my post; So unto Thee I live and die, And praise Thee evermore on high.
Words: Johann Jakob Rambach, 1734. Translated by Catherine Winkworth, 1863 and August Crull, 1884.
Music: 'O Dass Ich Tausend Zungen Hätte (Dretzel)' Kornelius Heinrich Dretzel, 1731.
Setting: "Mehrstimmiges ChoralBuch", 1906.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2011 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|