1. All praise to Jesus' hallowed Name Who of virgin pure became True man for us! The angels sing As the glad news to earth they bring. Hallelujah!
2. Th'Eternal Father's only Son For a manger leaves His throne Disguised in our poor flesh and blood See now the everlasting Good. Hallelujah!
3. He whom the world could not inwrap Yonder lies in Mary's lap; He is become an infant small, Who by His might upholdeth all. Hallelujah!
4. Th'Eternal Light, come down from heav'n, Hath to us new sunshine giv'n; It shineth in the midst of night, And maketh us the sons of light. Hallelujah!
5. The Father's Son, God ever— blest, In the world became a guest; He leads us from this vale of tears, And makes us in his kingdom heirs. Hallelujah!
6. He came to earth so mean and poor, Man to pity and restore, And make us rich in heaven above, Equal with angels through his love.
7. All this He did to show His grace To our poor and sinful race; For this let Christendom adore And praise His name for evermore.
Words: verse 1, ancient German. verses 2-7, Martin Luther, 1524. Translated by Richard Massie, 1854, alt.
Music: 'Gelobet Seist Du' ancient German found in Walter's Geistliche Gesangbüchlein, 1524.
Setting: Karl August Haupt, 1869.
copyright: public domain. This score is a part of the Open Hymnal Project, 2009 Revision.
|Pdf Image of Score||Gif Image of Score||Midi Audio of Tune||Mp3 Audio of Tune||Abc source|